What is the lymphatic system?
The lymphatic system is the frontline in our bodies’ ability to fight disease and infection by localizing foreign bodies. Daily stress, fatigue, emotional shock, chemical overload, infection, pollution, food preservatives and many other things can greatly impair the functioning of healthy tissues and healthy lymphatic pathways.
Lymphatic system main functions:
- Removal of wastes
- Excess protein and fluid absorption and removal
- Cleaning and returning of substances that escape from the blood
- Produce immunity
- Localize infection
- Carries food components like fatty acids to the blood from small intestines
What is MLD massage?
MLD massage is a very specific technique (primarily through the timing, direction and pressure of the application) that assists our body to refresh and rejuvenate its fluid enabling it to establish resistance to all types of stress that our system is placed under by stimulating the immune system.
It is not a muscular massage but essentially works above the muscle fascia as 70% of the lymphatic fluid is found here. MLD externally maneuvers the tissues of the lymph capillaries manually opening the anchoring filaments and allowing the capillaries to draw excess fluid from the connective tissues.
MLD stimulates fluid circulation and elimination, assisting the body with detoxification. It encourages the lymphatic system to absorb and transport lymph more effectively.
MLD stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system via the relaxation effect, reducing pain by sedating the sensory nerve endings. This in turn allows tight muscles to relax, inhibiting extreme muscle tone.
Some examples of where MLD massage can be beneficial:
- Pre-surgery to soften and relax tissues
- Post-surgery to prevent scarring and remove unwanted fluid to prevent infection
- Sinusitis/Hay fever
- Edemas/fluid retention
- Carpal tunnel
- Pain relief/Anti-inflammatory
- Dermatology (eczema, psoriasis…)
- Aesthetically (wrinkles)
- Constipation and digestive disorders
What might you expect 24-48 hours after MLD massage?
- Calming effect/reduced anxiety
- Increased urine output (possibly with odour). May need to urinate at some point during massage
- Dry mouth/thirst
- Nausea (especially if recipient is toxic)
- Very sleepy OR very energized
- Increased mental clarity
- Excessive sweating
- Emotional sensitivity
- Histamine reaction such as itchiness or hives (rare)